It is the intent of Sierra College to guide students to courses in which they will have the greatest chance of academic success. Therefore, some courses listed in this catalog have either a prerequisite, a corequisite, or advisory preparation. If no prerequisite, corequisite or advisory information is indicated there are no conditions of enrollment. The following are the definitions for prerequisites, corequisites and advisory preparation:
“Prerequisite” means a condition of enrollment that students are required to meet in order to demonstrate current readiness for enrollment in a course or educational program. “C” is the designated minimum grade for prerequisite courses.
“Corequisite” means a condition of enrollment consisting of a course that students are required to simultaneously take in order to enroll in another course.
“Advisory” means a condition of enrollment that students are advised but not required to meet before or in conjunction with enrollment in a course or educational program.
Prerequisite Clearance Procedures
Students who have met a prerequisite in high school or at another college may submit transcripts for review and prerequisite clearance. All documents, including the Prerequisite Clearance form (available online), should be submitted to Placement and Testing Services, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to the Rocklin campus at (916) 630-4513, or faxed to the Nevada County campus at (530) 274-5307. Results are available within 3-5 business days after submission and are accessible online via mySierra.
Prerequisite/Corequisite Appeal Procedures
Any prerequisite or corequisite may be appealed by a student on one or more of the grounds listed below:
- The student has the knowledge or ability to succeed in the course or program despite not meeting the prerequisite or corequisite;
- The student will be subject to undue delay in attaining the goal of his or her educational plan because the prerequisite or corequisite has not been made reasonably available;
- The student believes that the prerequisite or corequisite has been established in violation of regulations and/or the College’s policy and procedures; or
- The student believes that the prerequisite or corequisite is unlawfully discriminatory or is being applied in an unlawfully discriminatory manner.
Prerequisite/Corequisite Appeal forms may be obtained at the following locations:
- Placement and Testing Services
- Counseling Centers
- Academic Division Offices.
The Prerequisite/Corequisite Appeal form must be submitted to the appropriate academic division office for the prerequisite/corequisite being appealed. The appeal will be reviewed within 5 working days, and the results will be accessible online via mySierra. If approved, the student will be permitted to enroll in the course.